Every year, New England experiences an average of 14 inches of rainfall. Proving that protecting the exterior of your house is essential. According to recent figures, over 60% of homeowners in New England with installed gutters experienced fewer basement floods and foundation deterioration. Here is why you should install gutters in your home.
Why You Should Protect Your New England Home with Gutters
Installing gutters on your home in the breathtaking terrain of New England is vital. In a town where jaw-dropping beauty collides with the issue of frequent rainfalls and storms, you need to ensure your New England home is adequately protected from the elements.
A Gutters Purpose
You can’t go wrong with gutters if you want to protect your home from erosion and water damage. The unchecked flow of rainwater might cause soil erosion, create gullies, and ruin your landscaping efforts. Rainwater can overflow your house’s roof without proper drainage, seep into the foundation, and result in structural problems. Strategically placed gutters can divert water from the house’s base, thereby reducing the chances of erosion and foundational damage.
A Guide to Gutter Installation
Follow these simple steps to add gutters correctly and retain your home’s aesthetics:
- Get your materials ready: First, you need to gather all the necessary supplies. These include gutters, screws, hangers, downspouts, and measuring tape. Select only the best of the best materials that are suitable for the architecture and climate of your house.
- Take measurements and plan: Next, you must accurately decide the length of the roofline that will host the gutters. It would help if you also accounted for downspouts to ensure proper water drainage. Make use of chalks to mark the sites for the gutters precisely.
- Install hangers: Attach gutter hangers to the fascia board. You should ensure they are appropriately spaced apart to bear the weight of the gutters during heavy downpours. The hangers must be secured by screws that go through the fascia completely.
- Cut and attach gutters: Get a hacksaw and cut the gutters into predetermined lengths. To facilitate water flow, you should position the gutters slightly downward toward the downspouts. Seam connectors can link multiple gutter sections and stop leakages in any gaps.
- Install downspouts: Add downspouts to the designated positions for the gutters. Confirm that the downspouts will direct water away from the property’s foundation. You can also make use of elbows and extensions to allow proper drainage.
- Secure the system: Double-check all connections and fasteners to ascertain a secure gutter installation. Pass water through the drainage network to test it. Follow the water flow to look out for and eliminate any problems.
- Maintain the gutter system: Regularly clean the gutters and downspouts to prevent clogs and blockages. You should cut
Professional Gutter Installation
When it comes to the integrity of your home, it is often best to leave a project like the installation of gutters to the professionals. At Salemi Exteriors, our team of experts is prepared to assist with gutter installation, repairs, replacements, and even the installation of gutter guards. With unpredictable weather conditions in New England, why wait to protect your home? Contact Salemi Exteriors today by calling (978)804-5972 today!